Zermatt pictures: click here
photos and webcams
Zermatt is mentioned for the first time in history in 1280 as "Pratobornum". Later, a few other names appear. In 1495 the actual name appears for the first time as "zer Matt". Until 1791, Zermatt was devided into 4 parts, they joined in 1791. In 1820, the tourist industry started its development slowly.
Zermatt has about 5600 inhabitants.
In 1838, Josef Lauber (doctor in Zermatt) opened the first hotel in Zermatt with 6 beds called: hotel Mont Cervie. Later the name of the hotel changed to "Monte Rosa".
The pictures (click here) of Zermatt Switzerland have different formats. The photos have 800*600 or 450*600 pixels. The webcams have no standard.